Greek- Style Shrimp Scampi with Whole Wheat Spaghetti

Today concludes the first week of my newfound healthy lifestyle change. So far so good. I'm exercising like a mad woman, I'm eating well (but not depriving myself), and the best part is that I feel excellent. One of the major changes I've made in our house is to stick with whole wheat flour, whole grain pastas/rice and whole grain breads (and to avoid the white stuff like the plague). It's not too tough, really. I baked with whole wheat flour this week (with great success), my family doesn't seem to notice the difference much when I use whole grain pasta or rice, and we didn't eat a lot of white bread in the first place. Dinner has been fun to experiment with. I've been adding to my 'healthy' cookbook collection, and it's terribly fun to scour the healthy food sites too.

One of my dinner choices this week: Greek-Style Shrimp Scampi over Whole Wheat Spaghetti (adapted from a Cooking Light recipe).

Here's the How-To:

Saute garlic in a little bit of olive oil.

Add canned chopped tomatoes and chopped parsley- let that simmer for a while.

Add shrimp (I used 'jumbo-sized' for this recipe) and let the sauce cook the shrimp.

Spoon the shrimp & sauce over cooked spaghetti into a casserole dish.

Sprinkle a cup of crumbled feta cheese on top.

Throw it in the oven to melt (about 10 minutes). When it comes out of the oven, sprinkle lemon juice, parsley and salt and pepper on top.

I know that some people are hesistant to use the whole grain pasta for fear that it'll be grainy tasting and icky. Let me just tell you that everyone is my family has always loved pasta... and they can't detect a big difference with the whole wheat kind. You'll notice a difference... to me it's not as soft as white flour pasta, but you get used to it and it's really so much better for you. As feta cheese lovers, we enjoyed this shrimp recipe a lot. It doesn't have a big, heavy sauce on it... it's very light but it works. Even the kiddo ate it (after he picked out the little green things).

This recipe can be found HERE.

If you're interested in reading details about my food/exercise choices, as well as notes about my weight loss progress, you can visit this post.

Labels: