Wednesday, January 14, 2009

My Personal Weight Loss Journal: January 12-17th, 2009

This is the post where I will neatly tuck all of my babbling regarding my Weight Loss Journey (for January). If you're interested in checking on my detailed progress and daily notes, bookmark this post and check in whenever you'd like. I'll add to this post each day for the rest of the week. I'll start a new journal at the beginning of each week.

First Day: Monday, Jan. 12th, 2009
Food
/Exercise for the day:
breakfast: apple w/ 1 T. pb + glass of milk (prior to exercise)
45 minutes walking, 10 minutes jogging, 30 minutes on elliptical trainer, 1 hour cardio/strength class
lunch: salad- lettuce, tomato, roasted turkey & 1 T. light blue cheese dressing
2 slices whole grain bread with sugar free jam and a smidge of pb
snack: About 3/4 cup shredded roasted lamb (leftover from weekend dinner)
tea w/ splenda & nonfat milk
dinner: Orange Roughy sauteed w/ lemon juice, capers, Spike & sea salt
Brussels Sprouts roasted w/ olive oil, lemon zest & sea salt
dessert: sugar free pudding

First day thoughts... I began the day rather pumped up about beginning this new and healthy venture. Amazing readers left comments on yesterday's post and sent personal emails, giving me hope and renewed energy about what I can do. It certainly is nice to see how many people are out there thinking the same thoughts.

I need to explain the extreme exercise. If I walk/jog to the gym, that gives me an hour of extra exercise. I miscalculated the timing of the class I wanted to take today and found myself at the gym rather early, so I popped onto the elliptical for 30 minutes. Normally I probably won't do quite do this much exercise. I did officially sign up for my gym's Biggest Loser competition. I was weighed (ug) and had measurements taken. I'll weigh in each Saturday and am encouraged to attend daily workouts. The contest will conclude on Valentine's Day with final measurements & weigh in.

The food stuff... I don't like to eat a lot before exercising, but I know it's important to eat something. I like to have a nice meal when I come home, after I'm showered and ready for the day. I was pretty busy today and didn't really think about food too much.

All in all- it was a perfect beginning. I feel strongly that this was the right choice for me. I had fun planning dinners for the week, and I look forward to discovering new recipes that are just as good as the bad stuff! You'll still see some decadent recipes posted... I just won't be eating them, of course. And I'll share the healthy ones with you too if they're worthy of blogging about.

Thanks for the loads of support my dear readers! If you have good, healthy cookbook suggestions (or websites), please let me know. I love collecting cookbooks... even if they happen to be full of good-for-you recipes :)

----------------------------------------------------

Second Day: Tuesday, Jan. 13th, 2009
Food/Exercise for the Day
breakfast: Smoothie (1/3 c. blueberries, 1/3 banana, 1/3 nonfat pln. yogurt, 1/3 c. skim milk, 1 tsp. ground flaxseed, 1/2 tsp. honey, ice
15 minutes walking on treadmill, 1 hour circuit training/strength class
snack:
apple w/ 1 T. pb
lunch:
Chickpea & Spinach Salad with Cumin Dressing, 3/4 cup shredded roasted lamb, 1/2 orange
snack: 1 'healthy' cookie
dinner: Sour Meyer Lemon Chicken Stir Fry w/ brown rice
dessert:
sugar free pudding

Bits and pieces...
*
Patsy suggested Taste of Home's Healthy Cooking magazine. I ordered a free copy to check it out.
*I already have
Ellie Krieger's cookbook and I'm loving it.
*I've been discovering some amazing healthy food blogs, which I'll share occasionally as I try out their recipes and ideas.
*I ordered a couple more low fat cookbooks through Amazon as well as
Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred DVD.

The strength workout I did today was t-o-u-g-h. I'll be amazed if I'm not extremely sore tomorrow. I worked all kinds of muscles that don't normally get worked out much! As far as I'm concerned though, if it doesn't hurt then you're not getting much out of it. There really is nothing like the feeling you have when you've completed a good workout, especially when you do it in the morning. It just sets the tone for the rest of the day. I'll continue to push myself (safely) beyond my comfort zone.

Today's food choices were excellent... flavorful meals and I actually found some really great recipes too. I even made cookies (a healthier choice) and tasted only one. The rest are packaged up and ready to put in my kid's lunches.

As apprehensive as I was about sharing my personal choice with the world, I'm terribly glad I did. The outpour of support, encouragement and advice is really quite motivating. Thanks for your interest!
------------------------------------------------------------

3rd Day: Wednesday, Jan. 14, 2009
Food/Exercise for the Day
breakfast: egg sandwich (2 slices whole grain bread, egg fried in cooking spray, 1/2 avocado)
unfortunately no exercise today (see notes below)
snack:
apple w/ 1 T. pb
lunch:
chickpea & spinach salad w/ cumin dressing
snack: light yoplait yogurt
dinner: a little bit of chicken from last night's dinner, leftover roasted brussels sprouts jazzed up with prosciutto & parmesan
dessert: sugar free pudding

3rd day thoughts:
On Tuesday evening before I went to bed I had a cup of tea (which I do often). Don't drink this tea (or anything like it). I felt horrible all day on Wednesday because of it. Apparently it's a cleansing sort of tea and I wasn't aware of that. Not fun. I wasn't able to exercise at all, but I did get a nice nap instead :) I plan to get back to more cooking and a big workout on Thurs.

I was looking through cookbooks today and found some great idea's in Eating Well's Cooking for Two cookbook. I like the concept of just cooking for two and it's very easy to double if you need a bit more. Eating Well and Cooking Light magazines are also terrific resources. I get both in the mail already, but their websites allow access to their recipes so you don't really need to subscribe.

Although I'm not following a Weight Watcher's plan, they do have some great lowfat recipes.
Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes blog is also terrific resource for lighter meal ideas.

Have a healthy day!
--------------------------------------------------

4th Day: Thursday, Jan. 15th, 2009
Food
/Exercise for the Day
breakfast: 1 slice whole grain bread, egg fried in cooking spray, 1/2 avocado
power walking (45 minutes), jogging (25 minutes), elliptical machine (40 minutes), weights/abs (20 minutes)
snack:
smoothie (1/3 cup nonfat plain yogurt, 1/3 cup skim milk, 1/3 cup blueberries, 1/3 banana, 1 tsp. flaxseed
lunch:
chickpea & spinach salad with cumin dressing
snack: Vanilla- Almond Luna Bar
dinner: Greek- Style Shrimp Scampi over whole wheat spaghetti, salad
dessert:
sugar free pudding

Today's notes:
I felt much better today after yesterday's 'tea fiasco.' Since I was really bummed about not being able to work out yesterday, I decided to make it an extra-long workout today. We are being blessed with unusually warm 80 degree weather in San Diego right now, so it's very easy to get going and get active outside. I've been walking to the gym and then running most of the way home. The best thing about my workout today... I had made a commitment to exercise PAST the point of wanting to stop, which is exactly what I did today. And boy did I feel good about that. I was pumped up the rest of the day and my body felt great. I'm a firm believer in varying your exercise routine too... if you do the same exercise every single day, you're only going to be focusing on certain muscles. Change it up often and you'll be getting more of an all-over body workout.

That breakfast I've been having- a fried egg sandwich with avocado is a good one. If you love avocado, pair it with egg and you'll find that it makes an awesome little sandwich. I might just add a little tomato too next time. I learned of the Luna Bar while reading a health magazine at the gym today. It has only 180 calories, 5 grams of fiber and 8 grams of protein. It was a great snack. There are all different flavors and they can be found in your market's health food aisle. Dinner was EXCELLENT. I was feeling extremely guilty about eating pasta, but I used whole wheat spaghetti and only had about 3/4 cup of it with my shrimp. The family didn't even notice that it was whole wheat- nice! I'll post about this recipe in a couple of days.

If I sound excited about my venture so far, I AM! I'm waking up each morning looking forward to my daily workout! The challenge of planning good meals for the day is fun too. The supportive emails and comments that come in every day are extremely inspiring, and they're keeping me going. Thank you :)
------------------------------------------------

5th Day: Friday, January 16th, 2009
Food
/Exercise for the Day
breakfast:
Kashi cereal with skim milk
treadmill (20 min. walking, 15 jogging) elliptical machine (25 min.) weights/abs (20 min.)
snack:
Lemonzest Luna Bar
lunch: ate out- grabbed a cup of Greek Lemon Chicken Soup (Aveglemono)
snack:
nonfat yoplait yogurt plus 3 T. granola
dinner: leftover Greek-Style Scampi over Whole Wheat Spaghetti
snack: 1/2 avocado

Today's Notes:
I had to work hard to squeeze in exercise this morning due to a busy day. I really feel cruddy if I can't get a nice workout before I start my day so I'm glad I could make time. I'm NOT a runner, but you might notice that I've been incorporating running into my workouts. I watch The Biggest Loser on TV every week, and I figure if if those majorly overweight people can run then I can push myself to run too. Again, I pushed myself beyond just being tired... I was ready to stop running at 10 minutes, but I made myself go 5 minutes longer. I felt good about that. I couldn't run at all without an I-Pod. My I-Pod has music grouped into 3 categories: workout hard, workout walking, & workout soft. I run to my 'workout hard' music, which includes pretty heavy duty, fast songs (rock and girlie bands). I find that I'm quite motivated when listening to fast music. I strap it onto my arm w/ a velcro band.

I loved the Kashi cereal that I tried (link above). We were out running errands at lunchtime today and I found that I was feeling rather hungry. Greek fast food was our quickie choice (not the best for me), but I ended up choosing a cup of soup (without pita bread) and had a few bites of my husband's Greek chicken dish. I never would have ordered just a cup of soup in the past, but amazingly enough I was quite satisfied and felt full.

Tomorrow is my first official 'weigh in' day for my Biggest Loser contest. I'm very excited since I think I've had a great week so far. I feel good. No... actually, I feel great!

Have a terrific weekend...
------------------------------------------------

6th Day: Saturday, Jan. 17th, 2009... Weigh in Day!!

Food/Exercise for the Day
breakfast: Kashi cereal with milk
Boot Camp Style workout (75 minutes) plus first weigh in day for my Biggest Loser contest
snack: apple w/ 1 Tbsp. PB
lunch: big salad with prosciutto, lowfat swiss, veggies- light dressing
snack: Iced Orange Cookie (made with whole wheat flour)
dinner:
Salsa- Topped Salmon, steamed asparagus, couscous, and red wine!

Today's notes:
It was 'Weigh-In' day for the contest in which I'm taking part. It's always tough when I'm doing so many exercises to build muscle because I tend to not lose a lot of weight due to muscle gain. Imagine my surprise when the scale showed that I lost 3 pounds! I was delighted. I took part in the contest's 'Boot Camp' style workout today. The workout was led by a trainer and was done entirely outside (we can do that around here with our warm temps). Strength training was alternated with fits of running... for 75 minutes. It was definitely the toughest (but most satisfying) workout I've had this week. We spent our afternoon at the beach today, and I was able to get a good walk in there too.

A big salad at lunch was key. It was filling and didn't leave me wanting more. I had the desire to bake today, so I pulled out my King Arthur Flour Whole Grain Baking Book to see what sort of cookie I'd be able to make with all whole wheat flour. I decided on Iced Orange Cookies- they were excellent, and I'll be blogging about those soon. The salmon we had for dinner was delicious too... you'll see that on my blog also eventually. Wine was my splurge tonight. Since wine and sweets are most difficult for me to eliminate from my diet, it's nice to be able to include them in moderation. I'm going to try and stick with having wine only on Saturday nights.

The best part about this healthy lifestyle change so far is that I don't feel deprived. I'm eating delicious food, I'm blogging about it, and I'm enjoying it. The intense daily exercise leaves me energized and pumped up about feeling good. And I have a husband who showers me with constant praise and admiration!

Happy weekend to you....

23 comments:

Patsyk said...

Sounds like you are off to a great start.

A few of my favorite cookbooks for lighter meals are:

The Complete Cooking Light Cookbook
5 Star Cooking Light Recipes (or something like that)
Weight Watchers Make it in Minutes

I also just started getting a new magazine from Taste of Home - called Healthy Cooking. I've flagged a lot of recipes to try from the one I received yesterday. It seems to be another great source... like Cooking Light.

Ingrid said...

My eyebrows shot up when I read all of your exercises!! LOL!
~ingrid

Tara said...

I've been using "Fix It and Forget It Lightly" for about 2 years now. I love the crock pot at use it at least 2 times a week. these recipes are great. Also, Weight Watchers has tons of down-loadable recipes that are fantastic.

Terri said...

If you don't like to eat a lot in the morning, try eating some of that string cheese and a piece of toast? That'll give you some protein and carbs and then you can eat something else when you've finished working out. Good luck! I know you'll do great!

Peter M said...

You forgot something major...the great will power you have to resist your sweet treats!

Snooky doodle said...

keep it up dear !

Mary Coleman said...

Groom always says that the best exercise for you is the one you'll do!!
We've managed to write a food blog, lower cholesterol over 170 points, lower blood pressure and still eat wonderfully...so you can do it!!!!
You're right it's all about the lifestyle...
good luck!!!

Kristen said...

I'm proud of you for putting this all out there. You are very brave :) Good luck... you will be quite the inspiration to others!

Katherine Aucoin said...

I'm in the same boat as you, trying to lose weight after over indulging during the holidays. Maybe we should do a weightloss while still food blogging blog. Stick to it - you can do it!

Nina Timm said...

My problem is the exercise...hat every minute of it and have to overcome that pretty soon. I will keep reading your progress and hopefully will be inspired soon.

Teresa Cordero Cordell said...

Lori, thanks for stopping by. Glad to see other die-hard Elvis fans out there. Several years ago I stopped try to make dieting a new years resolution. Instead, I've taken up the mantra of everything in moderation. I realized that it was my over indulgence that did me in. But I wish you success in your quest. You're already so pretty.

Ben said...

It's so funny I just started tracking my meals and exercise time today, too. The last 5 pounds are always the hardest to get rid of! hehe

Maria said...

Good for you! Looks like you are starting the year off right! That is quite the workout!! I wish i had time to do more, but life gets busy. My husband is training for a triathalon. I workout daily, but never swim, so I told him I would start swimming. It is so fun to workout together. I am loving it. Good luck with everything. I love reading your entries!

noble pig said...

Funny you mentioned the extreme excercise I was thinking wow, I that's a lot of exercise! But I get it. It's so hard to not eat eat all these creations. I've found eating a little bit leaves me satisfied and other things go to neighbors, friends and teachers. But I enjoy the process of cooking just as much as eating so it's a trade off I guess! Good luck.

Stacey Snacks said...

RG,
You will no doubt lose weight fast w/ that kind of diet/exercise regimen.
I have gained a solid 3 lbs in the year since blogging, and am also trying to lose it.
I have increased my exercise and halved my portions for lunch and breakfast, and so far, so good. It's the night hunger that kills me.
Good luck! You are brave!
STacey

Bunny said...

Yes it sounds like you've got the right mind set for this, giving you a tip ...breakfast is the most important meal of the day for people trying to loose weight because your metabolism doesn't start up until your body has food in it. Keep up the good work!

VeggieGirl said...

You can do this, Lori!!! Keep up the great work!! :-)


**Just as a heads up: I will not be able to comment on blogs as often now, during this semester, due to work overload (I'm stressed already) - PLEASE know that I'm still loyally reading, but just won't have time to comment. I hope you understand!!

Anonymous said...

I really commend you for your weight loss goal. I used to be anorexic, now I'm an over eater, I seem to go in extremes. You give me a lot of hope! Thank you for sharing!!

Aggie said...

This is an awesome post/journal, I'm going to be checking to support you and to keep me motivated!! I am struggling with some weight loss right now. I really need to get Ellie Kriegers cookbook don't I? Going to check out Jillian Michaels Shred too...

good luck, and it looks like you are off to a GREAT start!

Shanbanan said...

On the slimming teas...I've used one that did not make me have cramps, but I've never been able to find it again since I first purchased it about 3 years ago. So then I went w/ Lacy LeBeau (sp?) diet teas (found at Wal-mart and drug stores everywhere), and they do about the same thing, but you must be very careful about steeping time. More than a couple of minutes, and you're going to have terrible cramping for hours. So follow the directions exactly on the steeping time.

Basically, they make tea w/ Senna leaves which is what is used in laxatives and softners like Senakot and Senakot-S.

Shan

Ivy said...

Good luck and keep it up!!

giz said...

I really hate January - every bulge is showing and motivation for working out is at an all time low. CNN and the treadmill are the best I can do.

Patsyk said...

That dinner (greek style shrimp and whole wheat spaghetti) sounds like something I'd love. Looking forward to that post.

I'm just about over a cold I've been dealing with all week, so I hope to jump back on the exercise bandwagon. Just reading about your daily workouts is inspiring me to get back to it!