Ten Best Recipes of '08

Happy New Year!

I began blogging just one short year ago today. I'll begin the year by reviewing what was the best of the best in my first year of blogging. Most of you likely began reading my blog in the latter half of the year and didn't get to see my early stuff (which is actually where many of my favorites originated). You'll see that with many of the recipes (interestingly enough), it was my first time working w/ a specific ingredient. Moral of the story: trying new things is always a good thing! A rule I live by is 'Why repeat a recipe? You've already had that!'... just about everything I end up making and blogging about is from a recipe I've never tried before. Scouring old food magazines and cookbooks, as well as trying new & unique ingredients keep cooking interesting and fun.

These were tough to choose since I only blog about recipes I've really enjoyed- I had 20, then I whittled it down to 12, then 10. I picked not just the most popular, but truly my faves. Click titles to go to the recipe.

Here are my Top 10 Favorite Blogged Recipes in 2008:

Cappuccino Brownies- I made a few new brownies recipes this past year, but these were the WOW of the bunch.

Butterfinger Blondies- I brought these to a party and they were devoured immediately. They're quite addicting!

Red Velvet Cupcakes (the Red Velvet Cheesecake was amazing too!!)- It was my first time making Red Velvet. Now I'm a huge fan!

Maple Apple Tartlets- These were inspired by my first-ever trip to an apple-picking orchard. I was really pleased with both how these looked and tasted, as well as how simple they were to make.

Meyer Lemon Loaf- This recipe (along with the Meyer Lemon Curd) made me fall in love with Meyer Lemons.

Alabama Pulled Pork Sandwiches w/ White Barbecue Sauce- I made these for a Charger's playoff party. We ended up losing the game, but I discovered a great, new recipe! These were a big hit with party-goers.

Sauteed Chicken with Olives, Capers & Roasted Lemons- I had never roasted lemons before... what a great flavor they impart, and this recipe was great.


Chicken Paillard with Fresh Fig Salad and Blue Cheese- Again, a first experience in cooking with fresh figs. I was impressed with this dish- so delicious.

Roasted Winter Squash with Browned Butter and Crispy Sage- First timer for me with acorn squash. I love the stuff now, and browned butter and sage made it perfectly wonderful.

Orzo with Roasted Vegetables- LOVED this salad. The roasted veggies were fabulous. It made a ton, and we ate it for days.

There you have it- the favorite new recipes of 2008. Makes me want to get right back into the kitchen and discover some more, which is what I'll be doing this year.

May you have a Happy, Prosperous & Delicious 2009!

Labels: