Thursday, April 3, 2008

Portobello Mushroom Burgers

In the cookbook where I found this recipe for Portobello Mushroom Burgers, the author suggests that "portobello mushrooms are so meaty that many people mistake them for beef." Hmmm. Wonder if that would work on the kiddo?

A conversation ensued:

Kiddo: Mom, what's for dinner tonight?
RG: Burgers.
Kiddo: Yay!!



They looked like beef burgers. The mushrooms are chopped up finely and blended with onion, garlic, breadcrumbs and egg whites. Would I be able to pass them off as hamburgers? Would my normally mushroom-adverse son gobble these down like there's no tomorrow? I topped his with a thick slice of melted provolone and left off the lettuce and tomato.

(my foodie son took a bite)

Kiddo: Mom, did you put mushrooms in these burgers?
RG: Why? Do you like them?
Kiddo: No. Are There Mushrooms in them?
Mom: Yes. But they're good. You'll like them. They taste just like regular burgers.
Kiddo: No they don't.
Mom: Well, that's what's for dinner, so eat up.

(he ate the whole burger)


We thought these were delicious. They didn't taste like regular burgers, by any means. They tasted as they should... like portobello mushroom burgers.

My hubby did want to find some other things to munch on after dinner because he said having veggies for dinner wasn't "filling" enough. Hmmm.... perhaps I should have tried passing these off as hamburgers to him as well.

(By the way, they were completely filling-enough for dinner for me, but next time I would add some oven-baked fries to fill up hubby.)

This recipe can be found HERE.

19 comments:

chou said...

After my s-i-l got married she mentioned a very similar conversation with her husband ("If it doesn't have meat it's not a meal!!!"). We both disagreed with him, but it seems to be a theme. I can't wait to try these out on my vegetarian friends.

Katerina said...

hahahah, OBVIOUSLY he would be able to tell. However. I bet I would love that.

noble pig said...

I love a good portobello burger. You really don't need the beef sometimes!

Elle said...

I love portobello burgers! I don't usually chop them up with other things--very interesting--I'll have to try that! They're great marinated and grilled, then served on a bun with garlic mayo. I really need to go find some lunch...starving here, and your burger pic looks so good!

Rosie said...

YES.... portobello burger!! I haven't made these in ages. Thank you for reminding me and who needs beef with these little beauties.

Rosie x

Peter M said...

LOL...Lori, I had these same convos about food with my mom.

We'd always want Big Macs and always shunned the homeburger.

Funny how the reverse is now true. I'll take your portobello burger any day.

Jessy and her dog Winnie said...

This sounds like a delicious substitute for regular hamburgers!

HoneyB said...

I'm always game for a vegetarian meal! I love mushrooms!

Megan said...

Wow who would have thought that a burger can look so gourmet? I will try your portobello mushroom burgers they look incredible.

Megan

StickyGooeyCreamyChewy said...

Hehehe! Your husband and mine are so much alike! Mine can't go a meal without a pound of meat. My daughter, on the other hand doesn't eat meat. I'm stuck in the middle trying to please everyone!

Kevin said...

I think a portobello mushroom burger sounds pretty good. It certainly looks good!

Mary Coleman said...

Love this one. he will come around and you can look forward to the day when he asks if you're having mushroom burgers for dinner!

LyB said...

Love the conversations! I have the same ones with my kids, aren't they all the same? I just love mushrooms so these sound wonderful to me! :)

JennDZ - The Leftover Queen said...

These look GREAT. I have been experimenting weekly with veggie burgers - looks like another recipe to play with!

My fiance is like that when I don't serve bread with a meal - he is never "full" without bread!

Deborah said...

These look delicious! I agree that mushroom burgers don't taste like hamburgers, but these do sound wonderful!

Jenny said...

I LOVE burgers and yours looks delicious! Great pics too!

swirlingnotions said...

I read through this post going, "how is it going to turn out? Are they going to like it or shove it away?" Nice job! I love the fact that the mushrooms are chopped up . . . interesting twist.

KayKat said...

I like that conversation :)

They do look like super-meaty burgers, though I'm no expert, never eaten one :)

Cakespy said...

These look--fantastic. I have had a weakness for portobellos ever since I visited the mushroom museum in PA during my formative years on a family vacation. No, I am not joking.