Friday, April 18, 2008

Ina Garten's Peanut Butter Chocolate Chunk Cookies

Barbara from Winos and Foodies is hosting the Taste of Yellow Event this year for LiveSTRONG Day. Last year 149 food bloggers participated in this event, and I'm guessing that number will grow exponentially this year as I visit blogs each day that are supporting this event with their yellow food posts.

This event is a one-day initiative to raise awareness and funds for the cancer fight. Unfortunately our family has had its share of cancer. My father succombed to the disease several years ago, and it has taken my grandma and uncle and several friends as well. We have numerous friends and family members who have fought cancer and continue to LiveSTRONG, and we are thankful for that. Thank you to Barbara for hosting this event.

My entry for this event is Ina Garten's Peanut Butter Chocolate Chunk Cookies. My son had great fun pulling all of the yellow M&M's out of the giant bag that I bought. It turns out that yellow isn't the most abundant color in an M&M bag. We ended up with only about 1/2 cup of the yellow guys. As a result, I chose to experiment a little with this recipe.

Ina suggests using high quality semi-sweet chocolate. I used Bakers (just a so-so brand), yellow M&M's and an exotic candy bar that I received in a swap with my Ohio food blogger friend Josie of 1 Kitchen, 2 Dogs and a Girl (thanks Josie!) The exotic bar contained chilies and cinnamon, and I thought that might be an interesting addition to the peanut butter.

I split the cookie batter into three parts and added each experimental element to the mix.

No one else was around, so I had to taste a bit of each (with a dunker of milk, of course.)

The result: The peanut butter cookie itself had a bit of crunch to it. The addition of M&M's is a no-brainer... M&M cookies always rock. The Baker's semi-sweet chocolate... I wish I had bought a higher quality chocolate. They were good, but not excellent. The exotic candy bar... it was an interesting addition with the cinnamon and a very slight flavor of heat with the chilies. I might prefer those flavors in a regular choc. chip cookie. I liked the M&M cookies best.

Dorie Greenspan has a recipe for Peanut Butter Oatmeal Chocolate Chunk Cookies that I highlighted in my post on Best Cookies of 2007. Dorie's cookies are superior to Ina's in my amateur cookie baking opinion. In Dorie's recipe, she uses cinnamon/nutmeg and bittersweet chocolate, which I prefer. Dorie pretty much has the food blogger world singing her praises with her great baking recipes. I don't wish to give Ina too much flack though because her cookies might be much, much better if you use a good quality chocolate (and peanut butter too!)

Ina's recipe for Peanut Butter Chocolate Chunk Cookies can be found HERE.

33 comments:

Pixie said...

Great entry for the event and I certainly can never get enough of anything with peanut butter in it.

Emiline said...

Oh, how I love cookies. All three look delicious. I like the yellow M&M's.

Ina is always using "good quality" this and "good quality" that. Come on Ina, not all of us have homes in the Hamptons and Paris. She also uses extra large eggs. What's up with that?

RecipeGirl said...

Pixie- thanks.

Emiline- Oh my gosh... i completely agree. The "good quality" references are starting to bug me. And the extra large eggs... I'm not quite sure why she developed all of her recipes with XL eggs but it's just plain weird.

dobetter said...

Those cookies look so fun and cheery! Perfect for the livestrong event!

Brilynn said...

Love the yellow m&ms, those look great!

LyB said...

My kids would so love the M&M ones, and so would I! As for the XL eggs, perhaps Ina shops at Costco... ;)

Patsyk said...

I love peanut butter cookies! I'll have to give these a try. I was wondering how you found yellow m&m's.

bakingblonde said...

There is nothing better in life than peanut butter and chocolate. I love your experiment with add-ins. I agree M&Ms and cookies are a no-brainer!!

Chuck said...

Lori, give me a tall cold glass of milk and a plate of those delicious looking cookies and I'll be one happy camper.

What a great event I wish I had seen it earlier I would have participated. How do you hear about these events Lori?

Maryann said...

Me too! Love peanut butter ;)

Jenny said...

Cute cookies! Is there anything better than a good peanut butter cookie? I've actually got a batch in the oven right now! We've got the same brain waves going on!

Lina said...

So cute! I'm planning on contributing to this event too. I just cant think of anything yellow to cook!

Cate said...

OK now I'm craving peanut butter cookies ... tomorrow it is!

Obsessive Foodie or Food Addict....You Decide said...

Did you know that exotic candy bar made by Vosges....they due a chocolate bacon bar. I have seen it in the store and have been half tempted to buy it. CRAZY chocolate bacon????

ali said...

RecipeGirl, I love that your son picked out all of the yellow m&ms. so cute. thanks for letting us know about this event.

I may have to try Dorie's recipe this weekend. peanut butter-oatmeal sounds amazing!

StickyGooeyCreamyChewy said...

As Ina would say, "Who wouldn't love these?". I love the yellow m&m's. Very cute idea!

I read your comment on my LiveStrong post. For both our sakes, I wish this was one thing we didn't have in common.

Grace said...

the cinnamon and chile chocolate bar sounds right up my alley. there's no way it would've survived long enough to go into cookies in my house. :)

Lore said...

You've got some great looking cookies there!

Maria said...

Wow these look absolutely delish and I adore the yellow M&M's ;o)

Maria
x

VeggieGirl said...

crunchy PB-Chocolate Chunk cookies - can it get any better?? Why, apparently it can - your yellow M&M "add-in" is brilliant!! What a fun entry for the event!!

Rosie said...

Oh these are great cookies and look so much fun :) What a splendid entry!

Rosie x

noble pig said...

It's not often a cookie can get me to smile without tasting it...the yellow M&M's did. Those are so darn cute. They look beautiful on the platter too.

Anamika:The Sugarcrafter said...

I think is is good entry, especially when it for a cause. well done recipe girl for this entry of Peanut Butter Chocolate Chunk Cookies

Kevin said...

Those yellow m&m cookies look good. I really like the sound of using chili chocolate in chocolate chunk cookies!

Cookie baker Lynn said...

Your cookies are delightful. I can imagine the fun of sorting through the m&m's looking for the yellow ones. Great choice for the LiveStrong event!

Elle said...

Ooooh, cookies! Those look so delicious! I'll have one of each, please. :)

White On Rice Couple said...

These cookies make me smile so big, I don't know why, but they just look so cute and make me so happy! Maybe it's the M&M's and the peanut butter, two things I adore! I like to scoop out a spoon of peanut butter and put m&m's on them as a treat!
Great entry!1

Josie said...

I never would have thought to put that chocolate bar in this recipe!! You are very creative :) I bet it would be better in a chocolate-on-chocolate cookie like whatever that one you made recently was called... (brain cramp). Next time you need a cookie taster, just let me know :)

Mike of Mike's Table said...

These look great and talk about a fun experiment--taste-testing and comparing cookies! Sign me up--especially for peanut butter cookies!

Barbara said...

Fabulous cookies and I love the yellow M&M's. Thanks for supporting LiveSTRONG With A Taste Of Yellow.

Deborah said...

They all sound great to me! Great entry!

Elinluv said...

hmm...I like the one with M&M's. Will try this one out. Great blog and thanks for the recipe :)

Bron said...

What a super cool take on "A taste of yellow" !! Awesome!