Friday, March 7, 2008

Chocolate Oatmeal Carmelitas

Here's an outstanding, make-ahead dessert that we chose to top off our Mexican-themed dinner: Food and Wine's Chocolate- Oatmeal Carmelitas.

These were published in their March '07 issue as a featured recipe from chef Louis Lambert. Louis first made these decadent treats for Lady Bird Johnson, and they have become one of his most popular recipes. The only thing "Mexican" about these bars is that they incorporate the Latin caramel sauce- dulce de leche... the closest thing to heaven I've ever tasted. You can certainly make homemade dulce de leche, but have you ever seen this stuff in a can?

Caramel is just about my most favorite dessert condiment in the whole world, and I had never discovered this can of caramelly goodness. Found in my market's Latin aisle, this is a pretty darn good substitute for homemade dulce de leche. I was tempted to eat it by the spoonful, but I managed to hold back and put it on the dessert instead! Well... ok, I took a teeny tiny taste...

Made the night before, this is a great choice as a make-ahead dessert. We ate a couple of these as after our Mexican dinner, but I split the rest up and brought them to two different events. They were a major hit at both events. I had people calling and emailing to ask me where the heck they could get their hands on the recipe for these amazing, decadent bars! I really can't recommend them highly enough. They have to be among the most delicious bars I've made in YEARS. Thank you to chef Louis for this fab recipe!

As Christian Siriano, the latest Project Runway winner, would proclaim, "These bars are FIERCE!"

This recipe can be found HERE.

23 comments:

liz said...

This looks delicious! Homemade dulce de leche is on my list of things to make, and combining it with oatmeal and chocolate sounds like a wonderful idea.

Gretchen Noelle said...

These do look fierce! And tasty! Love DDL in just about anything! Glad you discovered it!

Peter M said...

Ahhh, I see that Nestle has gotten in on making Dulce de leche!

I hope you're not making big batches of Carmelitas...you know where those calories will go!

LyB said...

Wow, wow, wow! I'm a fellow caramel lover (read addict) and this sounds like the perfect dessert for me! Yummy!

Brilynn said...

Those look amazing! I'm glad dulce de leche has become so popular in the past couple years, it's sooo good!

Chuck said...

Chocolate, Caramel, Oatmeal you know this has to be good with those ingredients. Another recipe for my collection.

Thank you Lori!!

Jessy and her dog Winnie said...

Those look great! They kinda remind me of 7 layer bars, but better!

Christine said...

Oh these look so yummy. I think I have gained 10 lbs just looking at the fabulous pics!

Michelle said...

These look irresistable! Can't wait to try.

StickyGooeyCreamyChewy said...

O.M.G.!!!!! To F#$&*%ng die for!!!
I am soooo making this! NOW!

eliza.adam@comcast.net said...

whoaaa...i'm drooling! love the chocolate with dulce le leche!

Kevin said...

Those look so good! I have been seeing a lot of dulce de leche lately, I will have to try it.

Proud Italian Cook said...

Fierce indeed!!! Those look amazing!

Cakespy said...

They have something like this at Whole Foods--but damn, yours look better!

Emiline said...

I wonder what makes it a "Carmelita"? Is that just a name for a bar cookie? Could any Mexican themed cookie be considered a carmelita? I'm just wondering, because I love that name.
These sound delicious...
I'm going to have to try the canned dulce de leche. Have you tried the bottled kind that has a cow on the front? It's baaaad. It tastes like a goat.

Laura said...

Drool.... I love dulce de leche. Wanna hear something ridiculous? In my mom's family--so in other words my whole life until I became a foodie of sorts--dulce de leche is called Brown Wiggle. We've been making it for eons--and honestly mostly eating it straight out of the can!

This recipe went into the to try file.

Patsyk said...

Those bars look like a bit of heaven! I adore caramel, so these may have to wait until I have someone to give them to!

Mike of Mike's Table said...

Those look like a *very* tasty dessert. I was also completely unaware of the canned stuff--that seems like a dangerous item to have handy at home!

Caroline online said...

Gosh, I wish I could have one! Guess I'll have to make them :D

Rosie said...

Lip smacking good is what this bake is!! They look fantastic with that WOW factor!!

Rosie x

LisaRene said...

These look crazy-good-fattening. I gained a pound just looking :)

Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) said...

My first visit and I just love your blog - lovely stuff!!

As for the caramel blocks, yummee...

Tracy said...

Those do look fierce! I must try those! I'm kind of bummed Project Runway is over ... thank heavens Top Chef is right on it heels!