Chocolate Guinness Stout Cake

It's time for a celebratory dessert worthy of representing St. Patrick's Day: Chocolate Guinness Stout Cake. The guinness is cooked within the cake, and it's also incorporated into a "sauce" that you drizzle into the cake before you top it with ganache.

This recipe comes from Kell's Restaurant and Pub in Portland, Oregon (rated the number 1 Irish restaurant and pub in the nation.) And you know those Irish pub guys know how to make some tasty bar grub... this cake was rich, flavorful and delicious!

The cake is baked in a 9 or 8-inch cake pan (I used 8), and the ganache is simply poured over the top and sides.

The recipe makes enough ganache so that you can put the remaining chocolate goodstuff in a plastic baggie, refrigerate it until it's a little firmer and then snip of the bag end and make decor out of ganache on top of your cake. I thought about trying to draw a big shamrock with my ganache, but I'm not much of an artist so I opted for some squiggly lines.

It turned out to be a very moist cake. The guinness just gives it a slight malty taste- not liquory or anything. As you can see, the extra ganache provides for a good deal more sweetness on top. I'm a frosting-girl so that worked for me!

I'm submitting this to Emiline at the fabulous blog Sugar Plum for her blog event: St. Paddy's Day Pub Crawl.


Have a Happy St. Patrick's Day!

This recipe can be found HERE.

Labels: ,