Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Buckwheat Blinis with Smoked Salmon and Creme Fraiche

Friends of ours hosted our gourmet group's dinner party recently on their rather large and really cool boat- The Whiskey Tango. Usually a breathtaking setting motoring through the harbor and under the Coronado Bridge, it was unfortunately an overcast evening.

It was still an amazing setting... just grey. Fun friends and some good wine made it better.

We brightened up the evening with good gourmet grub. My contribution: Buckwheat Blinis with Smoked Salmon and Creme Fraiche.

I started the blinis at home. The batter is whisked together and then given time to rise. Then the blinis are fried up... just like mini pancakes. I wrapped them in foil to keep them warm and transported them to the boat.

I assembled the rest of the appetizer on the boat- just a slice of salmon, a dollop of creme fraiche and a sprig of fresh dill. The blinis have a slightly sweet flavor that pairs nicely with the rest of the ingredients. You can certainly sub sour cream for the creme fraiche. These were a fresh, unique appetizer that all enjoyed.

The next day, I played around with the leftovers. When I made the blinis, I had kind of a tough time creating nice and perfect little pancakes. I wanted them to be perfect and they just weren't! So I used a scalloped-edge cutter to cut into the cooked pancakes. I think they look cuter, and would plate them up this way if I served them again.


Perfect for a heavy-appetizers party, they were delicious eaten cold. Warm blinis aren't really necessary. This recipe was originally published in Bon Appetit by Dorie Greenspan, and I made a few slight modifications to her recipe.

This recipe can be found HERE.

17 comments:

Karen said...

Yum! I love smoked salmon. These look great! I love how you used a scalloped edge on them.

Peter M said...

The colour on the smoked salmon is fabulous...what brand is it?

Leah said...

Those are soooo pretty, Recipe Girl! I am a huge smoked salmon fan and might have to make those sometime.

I was just out your way last month; my sister in law and I spent a day in LaJolla -- I loved it!! We stayed at a really nice hotel/spa and shopped downtown -- had cocktails at an awesome bar/restaurant overlooking the water. Pure heaven! I'd drop Wisconsin in a skinny minute to move out there!!

Tanya said...

Beautiful appetizers! Smoked salmon is the best! Love your blog :)

StickyGooeyCreamyChewy said...

Beautiful! Those are some delectable little morsels! And it has got to be creme fraiche all the way. Sour cream is creme fraiche's poor stepchild!

By the way, I remove the "boobs" After I realized what they looked like, they just kept taunting me! ;)

Mike of Mike's Table said...

Those look like delicious appetizers! They're presented well and I love the layers of color.

Emiline said...

You're so cute! You remind me of Martha Stewart (In a good way).

These sound great. I've never made blinis before. They seem so elegant.

Rosie said...

This has got to be one of my favourites. I adore blinis and smoked salmon with creme fraiche and yours are stunning!! Great post and pics!

Rosie x

Jessy and her dog Winnie said...

That sounds delicious!

CookiePie said...

These are gorgeous! What a great idea to cut them - the scalloped edges are soooo pretty!

Kevin said...

Those look really good. Smoked salmon goes so well with sour cream/crème fraîche and dill. I am going to have to look for some buckwheat flour.

RecipeGirl said...

Karen- thanks... I think it looks cute that way too.

Peter- Hmmm... good question. I got it at Henry's Market, which I'm sure they don't have in Canada!

Leah- Thank you. Glad you enjoyed SD. We love it here.

Tanya- THANK YOU!!

Susan- I agree... Creme fraiche wins over sour cream any day.

Mike- thanks!

Emiline- I'm SO not Martha. But I think it's funny that some of my friends call me that.

Rosie- Thank you.

Jessy- Yep, they're good.

CookiePie- Thank you!

Kevin- I had to hunt a bit for the buckwheat flour, but was able to find it in a health food market.

Jenny said...

Oh the picture of the water is so gorgeous!! It makes me want to visit CA so badly!

I'm not even a salmon fan, but your pics are lovely!!

Pixie said...

I could eat about 10 of those within a minute. They look great!

Tracy said...

Wow, what a nice way to have a party.

I had to laugh when I saw the blinis. I just watched Top Chef and a contestant got eliminated for bad blinis. I don't think I've ever had a blini ... maybe this is a recipe to start with.

Proud Italian Cook said...

First of all, your blinis look fantastic! (way better than the ones on Top Chef the other night!)lol! And your boat party looked like a great time, despite the weather

Toffy said...

Beautiful Blinis, this is a fun and great site.