Sunday, February 24, 2008

Goat Cheese Ravioli with Winter Pesto Sauce

Ahhhh, alone time as a couple. Enjoy the quiet. Watch something on TV that isn't related to superheroes. Savour the time together. Prepare a romantic dinner for two!

When my son was safely tucked away at his grandparents house earlier this week, it gave my husband and I the opportunity to spend two "kid-free" nights to ourselves. Everyone needs a break, and this was our shot at relishing this occasional experience. Of course this special time together called for a special dinner, but locating romantic recipes for two can be hard to come by. In my frantic effort to constantly organize my recipes, I remembered an old article I had come across in an 80's Bon Appetit about this very topic.

The choice: Goat Cheese Ravioli with Winter Pesto Sauce... served with the Arugula Salad that I posted about yesterday, crusty rustic bread, and a bottle or so of Pinot Noir.

I'd love to brag that I spent hours rolling out homemade pasta dough, but my KA pasta attachment still continues to collect dust in the pantry. One of these days I'll get around to testing it out. But not on a day when my time was so incredibly valuable! I went the won-ton-wrapper route. If you've never made ravioli, it's actually pretty easy to do... just a little time consuming. I made ravioli for 20 recently for a gourmet club dinner party and I literally spent hours making each little ravioli. For two, however, it was a manageable task.









1. The won ton wrappers are laid out and the ravioli filling plopped on top.
2. Rub edges of wrappers with beaten egg white (I used water in my last ravioli-making event and found that they fell apart more easily)- the egg white worked better.
3. Place second wrapper on top (or you can simply fold the wrapper in half to make a triangular ravioli.)
4. If you're using wrapper on top of wrapper, cut with a biscuit cutter (or ravioli cutter, should you have such a gadget.)
5. Rub a quick coat of egg white around the edges to assure sealing.
6. Place ravioli on a floured cookie sheet, cover tightly and refrigerate until you're ready to boil them.

Not too bad, huh? Kind of fun too. And it's all worth it when your romantic interest looks at you lovingly and says, "You made these?"

Deplete of basil, the pesto sauce instead includes fresh oregano, thyme, rosemary, onion, garlic and a splash of cream. It was a wonderful romantic dinner for two (oh, and we loved the ravioli!)
This recipe can be found HERE.

15 comments:

Cooking and the City said...

Hello this looks delicious, lovely blog :-)

Dell xo

Peter M said...

Lori, you keep on bangin' out fab dishes and yes...restaurant grade fer sure!

Cakespy said...

OK...how fabulous does this sound? Very, I think!

michelle @ Us vs. Food said...

looks fantastic! pasta and ravioli are things that i don't do homemade nearly enough. i love the wonton wrapper shortcut, i'm really into wrapping things in lately (food, i mean; not just anything!).

gal writer said...

drool! a couple of comments though: i got the KA pasta attachment and my hub and i have actually had several bonding moments making pasta with it (he isn't really into cooking but has MUCH more patience than i do!) so, perhaps if you can get your love interest in the kitchen with you and make the sheets, one could actually save time on the prep, by being able to work with more than one ravioli at a time. plus square shapes make it quicker too.
none of this meant, of course, to detract from your lovely post!
(ooh, and i made a winter pesto once with rosemary, olive oil, walnuts and romano that would go nicely with this.)

Mike of Mike's Table said...

Those look great and sound delicious!

I did raviolis a while back only to discover my pasta maker was dead, so I tried to do everything by hand, which apparently, I am not very good at. I got the KA pasta roller attachment though and tried it again which produced great results. If anything, it just took some practice to learn the little gotchas with using it and what a successful pasta dough's consistency should be like.

But what I ultimately wanted to say was I can entirely appreciate the statement about it being "time consuming"--right on! Certainly worth it every now and then--just make way too many, store some off in the freezer, and enjoy your efforts for weeks to come.

sandra said...

Lovely dish!!!
I wanna try it... :) I have rice paper at home!
Bye from Italy!

Chuck said...

Hi Lori!

I thought I would pop over and see what you are up to ... and I was happy I did! What a great idea to make ravioli with wonton wrappers. I'm looking forward to giving it a try, thank you for letting us know about it!

Anonymous said...

Looks great and I love the won ton wrapper option. Quick question for you though: Do you put the egg white on the edges of both wrappers that will be joining? Or do you put it on top once you have put the two pieces together? (Maybe it seeps in and binds the two pieces together somehow?)

Thanks. I do love your site.

RecipeGirl said...

Dell- thank you!

Peter- thanks for the nice compliment :)

Cakespy- Thanks for stopping by...I've been admiring your blog :)

Michelle- I'd like to experiment more with homemade pasta too.

Gal- Yeah, I've really been meaning to try out the KA pasta attachment. We had a "pasta machine" long ago and had a little fun with that until we tired of it and sold it in a garage sale. I'm ready to make my own again!

Mike- There's a discussion on the Cooking.com forum reserved specifically for Italian food. The expert there (Chuck) is super knowledgeable and shares great recipes, including those for pasta dough.

Sandra- thanks for visiting all the way from Italy!

Chuck- thanks for stopping by. I've been spreading the word about your wonderful site!!

Anonymous: You only need to put the egg wash on the bottom wrapper. When you place the other wrapper on top, it simply acts as a glue and sticks together. I always rub a little more around the edges after it's put together... just to be sure that there won't be leakage!

Jessy and her dog Winnie said...

Looks really yummy!

Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) said...

Well done on a great plate of food. I often use wonton wrappers.

Meghan said...

I love using wonton wrappers for ravioli. I used them for my cheater's chicken ravioli. Why go any other way when not dedicating an entire Sunday to making pasta dough!

These look so amazing... I love goat cheese!

Rosie said...

This is another top post! Oh and this ravioli sounds fabulous and looks fantastic! Great idea to use wonton wrappers too ;)

Rosie x

Rachael said...

this looks lovely! I always forget about the won ton wrapper trick - fresh ravioli is so delicious