Wednesday, January 30, 2008

King Arthur Flour: Brown Sugar - Cinnamon Biscotti

Introducing a recipe worth trying from King Arthur Flour Cookie Companion: Brown Sugar Cinnamon Biscotti.

You'll need cinnamon baking chips. Ever heard of 'em? As you can see, Hershey's makes them. King Arthur Flour also sells them online. The only grocery store that I've seen carrying the cinnamon chips is Albertsons. If your market doesn't carry them but does carry other Hershey's chips, you might consider asking the management if they'll order them. Often times they're willing to accommodate customers. These chips are A-M-A-Z-I-N-G in baked goods. They're worth searching for.

Here's the how-to:


Beat up the butter with sugar, vanilla, salt and baking powder until smooth and creamy. Then beat in the eggs.


Mix in the flour, cinnamon and chips. The dough will be pretty darn sticky. Carefully dump it onto a parchment- lined baking sheet and shape it into a 14x2-inch log (it helps if you wet your hands a little bit.) I studded a few extra cinnamon chips in the top of the log (so that the finished biscotti would yield a few that would be visible on top). Stick that log in the oven for the 1st bake.

Here's the baked log. Don't worry about the cracks- they're supposed to be there.

Here's the strange part. King Arthur asks you to spray the baked log with a fine mist of water. The reasoning behind this is that it will make the slicing much easier (without crumbling). They were right. It sliced up easily enough with a serrated bread knife. It won't be the end of the world if you don't have the equipment available to spray the biscotti with water. Just be really, really careful when cutting the log or you might end up with a crumbly mess.

But wait... they're not finished!! You bake them again!

And here's the finished product! A nice and crispy cookie. I liked these a lot because A... they were not *hard as a rock* biscotti. If you prefer them that way, you might consider baking them an extra 5 or 10 minutes. And B... the whole family LOOOOOVED the cinnamon chips hidden inside! My husband noted that the house smelled like cinnamon toast, and my son just said the kitchen smelled "yummy." Good enough for me.


They make good coffee dunkers too :)

This recipe can be found HERE.

10 comments:

Patricia Scarpin said...

I have never made biscotti and these are tempting!

Sagari said...

those biscotti looks sooooooo good

Jennifer said...

I made these during the holidays. Very, very tasty!

Cakespy said...

Fantastic--I am a huge fan of dunkable things, and the cinnamon probably makes coffee taste so good!

Psychgrad said...

This recipe looks good. I love your blog! The pictures and recipes are great. The style (demonstrating is something we try to steps and discovering new recipes) is something I try to do on my own blog.

Peter M said...

Hi Lori, I've sen you darting around blogs and I thought I'd pay your site a visit.

The biscotti looks dunkin' good, great for my Greek coffee!

RecipeGirl said...

Patricia- they're easier than you think!

Sagari- you must make them!

Jennifer- delicious minds must think alike, huh?

Cakespy- I'm not a coffee drinker but my husband assured me that they were fantastic dunked in his coffee!

Psychgrad- thank you. Will check out your blog.

Peter- thanks for stopping by. I'm addicted to a few blogs. We must frequent the same ones! I'm intrigued to know how Greek coffee differs from the USA version...

CookieJarConfessions said...

Thanks for the comment. I love your recipe site - It's my new favorite recipe reference! And I will definitely try more out and let you know. Thanks again, take care, and happy cooking!

VeggieGirl said...

so cinnamon chips DO exist!! I've been looking for them, and I can never seem to find them in stores!! they sound FANTASTIC in that biscotti - yum!!

RecipeGirl said...

CookieJar- Glad you like my site. It's my passion! Thanks for trying out my cookies :)

VeggieGirl- Yes, you must try the cinnamon chips! Hope you're able to find them...